Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Going Daisy for Pizza

So. There is a new term about. It is called "going Daisy." It rhymes with "going crazy," is named after Gatsby's love interest, and they mean virtually the same thing, but the motivation which drives these two terms... well, that is miles apart.

Consider:

Tonight the worst snowstorm of the 2010-11 season rolls through my state. The roads are an impassable white fuzz due to terrible wind and incessant snow caking and crowding the lanes. Yet I wanted pizza for dinner. I love pizza, you see, but like any other sane adult, I enjoy my life, my warmth, and my car not in a ditch. But the pizza, you see. Well, drumroll please. I ordered the pizza and went out for it. Because I am a self-centered self-loather when it comes to pizza. Like Daisy. And like Daisy, I got through it scot-free. My wife, however, shoveled her back into oblivion so that I could get back into my driveway. So you see, gentle reader, there are consequences for all our actions. They just don't always find their way back to us, or worse still, they are not of us to begin with, like that terrible rain-cloud that lands on Andy Dufresne in Shawshank; or the virus of nihilism that haunts the fens in Grendel; or the friendship that claims both the mice and the men in George's life. I "went Daisy" for my pizza and probably won't think twice about doing it again in the near future because the world failed to teach me otherwise this time. I hope I get to "go Daisy" again sometime, and invite you to do the same. Just be wary of the time that such actions do claim you. Let us not be surprised. That would be just plum "Daisy" indeed.

1 comment:

  1. As the "Gatsby" of this scenario, I'm not sure the pizza was worth it.

    -Mrs. Non-doer

    ReplyDelete