Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Heading Underground Once Again

Here we are gentle reader, heading somewhere but not here, steering our attention to heroes and mud and nothing in between, celebrating laziness so long as it is certainly present and accounted for.

We are going Underground.

Call it sickness, call it self-aware loathing, call it a whine-fest. Whatever. I am excited.

Here are my Top 5 Reasons for wanting to head Underground:

1. I like saying the author's name. It's like a verbal jungle-gym.

2. There is a shoulder duel. Just shoulders and spite. Something I have always wanted to do. In the hallway...

3.  I love puzzles, and page for page these Notes have more paradoxes to unravel than anything else we read.

4. Our unnamed narrator sounds crazy. And maybe he is crazy, but this is beside the point, because whatever he is, he is saying a whole lot of things. To be sure, I would never say some of the things he says, but there are some things he says that I would want to say. And probably never will. For whatever reason. But he says them, which means I am not alone in my thinking, and this comforts me.

5. Simply, I can leave. The Underground ends the moment I close the book. Thoughts and ideas and insults and laughs and headaches linger only if I allow them. Such is the awesome power of reading.

Who knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment